“As a nation, we are standing at a critical juncture,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in his address to the nation on Tuesday.
PM Narendra Modi during his address to the nation (Picture Courtesy: Twitter @narendramodi)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation in a 30-minute speech on Tuesday. He began the address by expressing condolences for those in India who have lost their loved ones to the novel coronavirus outbreak. “This crisis is unimaginable to the human race,” the PM said.
In his much-awaited interaction with the nation, the Prime Minister also announced a financial relief package which along with measures taken by the RBI and the government’s previous financial announcements is collectively worth Rs 20 lakh crore, roughly 10 per cent of India’s GDP, aimed at reviving the economy and supporting those affected by the pandemic. The PM also emphasised on the need to make India self-reliant, a feat he said was in the best interest of the world.
Here are the top quotes from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s address:
- “When the coronavirus outbreak began, there was negligible production of PPE kits in India. Today, every day 2 lakh PPE kits and 2 lakh N95 masks are being made in India. This is because India converted a crisis into opportunity”
- “The entire world is busy saving lives but tiring, losing, breaking down is not acceptable to the human race”
- “As a nation, we are standing at a critical juncture”
- “India’s goals, India’s acts reflect on the world”
- “When India becomes open-defecation free, the world’s image changes”
- “Today, we have the means, we have the ability, we have the world’s best talent. We will make the best products, improve our quality even more, will make our supply chains more advanced. We can do this and we will definitely do this”
- “From today, every Indian has to become vocal for local, not only buy local products but endorse them proudly”
- “This pandemic has taught us the importance of local manufacturing, local markets, local supply chains”
- “We will wear a mask, follow social distancing but not let our goals move away.”